Sunday, October 19, 2008

Making Applesauce






I have been talking about doing this, and finally on Saturday I decided to give it a try. I have never made applesauce before, but everyone told me it was really easy. I went to the fruit stand here in Santaquin and bought a case of apples. I found a recipe with full color instructions online and gave it a try. It really wasn't hard, except for the little helpers I had. They were washing the apples faster than I could cut them and therefore making a huge mess with the water. They were very excited to help though. After cutting the apples, I cooked them till they were muchy, finally I put them in the sieve and made the applesauce. I borrowed the sieve from my mother in law and it worked great. It was the kids favorite part to turn the handle and watch the applesauce come out one end and the yucky parts out the other. I only ended up with 6 quarts, so I don't know money wise if it was cheaper than buying it at the store, but it was a fun Saturday activity. The kids said it was the best applesauce ever, and David said it needed more sugar. I think it tasted fine too.

2 comments:

Annie said...

We just did this the other day. We go through applesauce really fast in our house.

Natalie and Ryan said...

Looks like a giant mess of delicious food. It is good to see that you have a blog and will be easier to keep in touch. Ryan and Nat