Tuesday, March 15, 2011

It is NOT FUNNY.....it is OFFENSIVE!!!

I am short, 4 feet 11 inches of shortness to be exact. Along with being short I apparently have a young looking face. Some may think this is a good thing, to look younger than you actually are, but not me. I am constantly being told, I though you were the kid not the Mom. I am 32 years old and have given birth to 5 children, I don't want to be thought of as a teenager! There have been many cases where people have made comments of me looking young. One happened in my first year of marriage(age 20). My husband and I walked into our new ward and was approached by a member of the bishopric, he shook our hands, then asked David if I was his DAUGHTER!! Another, when I was pregnant with my first child (age 21). I was in the Oakland temple at my best friends sealing. A lady leaned over to me and said, if you weren't pregnant, I'd think you were too young to be here. A few years ago I was at the store with my younger sister and the sales associate asked if she was my MOTHER! Neither one of us were sure who was offended more. Just yesterday, I took a neighbor to the store and on the way home we stopped to grab lunch. As the cashier gave us our food she confessed that she thought I was my neighbors daughter. My neighbor is 40. My neighbor thought this was hilarious and said that just made her day. She had plans to go home and call her husband and mother and tell them all about it. I was very offended by the whole thing. That is what got me thinking about this post, I just needed somewhere to vent. So, what should I do to look older? Get an "older" looking hair cut? I have no idea, I just know I am frustrated with being a teenager!!

2 comments:

snowball said...

it has to be frustrating I'm sure! and really can't tell you what to do to look older I seriously don't think that changing your hair style would be it though or make up. Clothes maybe but not even sure of that... just go with it Annette find a way to put in humor and then 40 years from now when you still look young enjoy it

Natalie and Ryan said...

Sorry, that's really frustrating. People never believe me when I say I am turning 32 this year. But it is never to the extreme you have experienced. I don't really have any suggestions of looking older. I would just ignore it and enjoy your life and family. People are stupid sometimes. They don't know when to stop talking. Good luck.