Saturday, December 6, 2008

A New Smile

Dawson had been complaining about a tooth hurting for a week, so on Wednesday I called and scheduled an appointment for Thursday with the dentist. David and I gave him a good pep talk the night before and told him he had to let the dentist look at his tooth to make it feel better. He sat really good for the x-ray and the nurse said it looked like he had a big cavity on it. She had us go into a room and said the dentist would be in to look at it and see what he wanted to do. When he came in, he looked at the x-ray and said "darn it." Dawson's top left middle tooth had a cavity in it. We had had a filling done 9 months ago on that tooth, but he grinds his teeth and had ground the filling away. Another cavity got in and made its way to the root. The dentist gave me two options to choose from: 1--pull the tooth 2--do a root canal and put a crown on the tooth. After talking with him about the ups and downs of both options, I decided to have the tooth pulled. Dawson was upset about the numbing medicine, but I eventually got his calm enough for the dentist to come back in. It took him maybe 5 seconds to pull the tooth out. Dawson mostly cried about having the gauze in his mouth. By the end of the day he was fine and running around. He got to go to the store and pick out a toy, then the tooth fairy left a dollar under his pillow. Now he will have a toothless smile until he is 7, which is when Shayla lost her top teeth. David laughs everytime Dawson smiles because he isn't use to his new look. I think he looks cute especially in this picture showing his dollar.

4 comments:

Livingstone Family said...

Hey Annette, Good to see you! I found your blog through your facebook. It is so fun to catch up with you, I can't believe how grown up your kids are and I didn't even know you had 4-- now #5 is on the way?! You all look great, it is good to see that no matter how much time passes some things never change. XOXO!!

Annie said...

He does look cute! What a good deal to get a toy and have the tooth fairy come! I can't believe you're already 13 weeks!

grapeape said...

wow, Autumn must be jealous! :) she has seen her brothers wiggling their teeth/losing their teeth and she has tried to convince us that she has a loose tooth too!!

Janice said...

Poor Dawson,he doesn't look to sad about his tooth being gone since he was able to get a dollar.
Have a Merry Christmas!!