Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Food Storage

We have been asked by the church to get our food storage. As member of the church, we understand the great importance of this request. I try to buy a little extra of things we use reguraly and replace it as soon as I use it. To me, this is a wonderful thing. There have been times when we have had to use what we have to make it a few weeks, that is why we have it. I was just at the store today at a case lot sale stocking up on needed items. I have never doubted this and will continue to build up my food storage. I watched the Oprah show yesterday and she talked about things we can live without. One of the families she featured had a years supply of food that could feed her family of four. I was impressed by this because it is something I am striving toward. She said she would stock up on items when they were on sale. She was able to go into her food storage and donate food and hygeine supplies to a family that needed them. It didn't make a big dent in her supply and she felt good about helping a needy family. If you go onto oprahs website, you can read the comments that people have made about the show. They are very negative toward her having that much food. It is wasteful to them and feel as if she has a hording problem and a shopping addiction. I have a cousin who recently was talking to co workers about food storage, and many of them were negative about it and saying how they wouldn't want to store food for that long and have to eat it. In these economic times, it is wonderful to have your food storage. Many people are being laid off, if only they could reduce their stress by having a year supply of food. I am grateful for the request by our church leaders to have our food storage. It is a wonderful blessing and will really help in times of need. I just wish that other will embrace this and not see it as foolishness.

2 comments:

Janice said...

Thanks for this post. It was very well written. It is sad that others think it is a bad thing. THey will wish they had when others around them are eating and they aren't. I really would love to be that stocked up on food as that lady you mentioned. One day!!
Until then I guess we will just keep doing our best to get the extra things we do get.

Amy B. Whitehead said...

You will have to let David know I am the food storage specialist for my ward. (He should find that funny). Anyway you can get on Utah State University's extension website and download and print off their food storage cookbook for free. It provides tons of recipies for cooking with food storage (like the church suggests) and the meals are actually tasty. Try it out! And if nothing else you were right about having a supply on hand. We will have to see who will be laughing when the people from that show need food. Because the difference between what you will and what you won't eat is just a matter of days!